Are your gums sore? Do you experience pain or bleeding while brushing or flossing? If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t make the mistake of overlooking them. Sore gums could be well an early sign of gum disease. However, there’s no need to panic because it can be timely treated. Just let the best dentist in Glendale, Dr. Sahakyan, know and he shall assist you with the right treatment.
What Causes Sore Gums?
Your gums may become sore or swollen if you’ve been doing any of the following practices:
- Brushing aggressively or using a hard-bristled toothbrush
- Flossing incorrectly which may cause gums to bleed
Besides that, there are other reasons for sore and sensitive gums as well. These include a tooth or oral infection, gum disease, deficiency of vitamin K, pregnancy-related hormonal changes, leukemia, or blood disorders.
Poor oral hygiene practices, improper diet, use of tobacco, and stress have also been noted to cause swollen gums. For more details on sore gum causes, consult the dentists at Smile Makeover of LA.
Possible Treatment for Sore Gums
Remember that the moment you experience any painful sensation or bleeding in the gum area, call your Glendale dentist immediately. Most people tend to ignore swollen or bleeding gums because the symptoms may not be immediately noticeable. However, these could be the early signs of the onset of gum disease and therefore require timely treatment.
Until you get to your dentist in Glendale, you may try the following methods at home to control the symptoms:
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm water mixed with a pinch of salt.
- Try either hot or cold compress to suppress the painful sensation
- You may consult your dentist over the phone and ask for any over-the-counter medication for immediate pain relief
- Boil a tea bag in water for 5 minutes, let it cool down and apply it directly to the gums
These are all, however, temporary-relief measures that may help bring down the severity and frequency of the pain. Remember that it’s very important to see your dentist as early as possible because these signs could indicate gum disease. In this case, only your dentist would be able to guide you on the possible treatment.
Most important, don’t forget to ask your Glendale dentist Dr. Sahakyan on preventive measures to avoid a similar situation in the future. Ideally, following good dentist-recommended practices can put all dental problems at bay, including sore gums.
How to Prevent Sore Gums?
Your dentist can list out a few important tips to follow regularly to prevent any such occurrence in the future. Don’t forget to consult Dr. Sahakyan when you visit him in Smile Makeover of LA dental clinic. This is what he advises his patients to follow as a golden rule of thumb to prevent sore and bleeding gums:
- Brush twice a day and always use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Most important, brush your teeth and gums softly.
- Try sensitivity toothpaste in case your gums feel sensitive or sore.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Make your dental office visits regularly, at least twice a year.
- Take good care of what you eat. Your diet plays a pivotal role in maintaining oral hygiene.
- Rinse your mouth well with lukewarm water or mouthwash after each meal.
Sore gums are a very common practice with most people. This is one of the reasons why most of them don’t tend to take it too seriously. Remember that it is curable if you visit your dentist in time. Call 818-578-2324 or contact us for an appointment at Smile Makeover of LA.